Are you getting all the tax credits you’re eligible for? Earned Income Tax Credit? Child Credit? Educational Credits? Senior Credits? We provide you with free tax preparation assistance that can help reduce your tax burden and get back money that can help you build savings and pay off debts.
We provide free tax assistance if you’re income eligible and meet a few other requirements. For instance, in 2016, we provided this service to those who earned under $54,000 that year. We encourage you to contact us to see if you qualify.
Get the refund you’ve earned
Last year, ABCD helped over 5,000 families receive more than $8 million in federal tax refunds, while saving more than $1.1 million in preparer’s fees.
As a leading partner of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program and the City of Boston’s Tax Help Coalition, ABCD provides low and medium income Boston area residents with free electronic Federal and Massachusetts State tax preparation.
We also provide these services to people with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. In fact, services are available in many languages.
In addition to VITA, the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program offers free tax help for all taxpayers, particularly those who are 60 years of age and older, specializing in questions about pensions and retirement-related issues unique to seniors. That includes the Massachusetts Senior Circuit Breaker tax credit, which allows taxpayers age 65 or older who own or rent residential property in Massachusetts a credit relating to the amount of real estate taxes paid on the property.
Our VITA volunteers are IRS-certified annually and are trained to assist you in finding all the tax credits you deserve—including those you may not have known you were even eligible for.
This program is available in ABCD Neighborhood locations in Boston and several Mystic Valley area cities and towns: Malden, Medford, Everett, Melrose, Woburn, Winchester and Stoneham.
* Tax services available by appointment only. Please call your local ABCD site to schedule a consultation.
DON’T FORGET TO BRING:
- Valid Government Issued Photo ID
- Social Security card or Individual Taxpayer ID Letter (ITIN) for you, your dependents and/or your spouse
- All 1099 forms – 1099G (unemployment), 1099R (pension payments), 1099INT (bank interest), 1099SSA (Social Security)
- All W2 forms from all jobs for 2017
- Proof of health insurance (health insurance cards, 1099-HC, 1095-A, etc.) for taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents**
- Total child care expenses in 2017, and child care provider’s name, address, and Employer Identification Number (EIN) or SSN
- All 1098T forms (tuition payments), receipts for materials and books and bursar statement
- Total student loan interest paid (1098E)
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- Bank issued printed account and routing numbers for direct deposit of your tax refund
- Proof of ANY deductible out of pocket expenses (annual BWSC, 1098E, charitable receipts, etc.)
- Any mail from the Massachusetts Department of Revenue
- Any mail from the IRS
**Taxpayers who have received or expect to receive health insurance credits need to bring proof of ALL household income.
Without all documents, we cannot complete your tax returns.
WANT TO HELP? BECOME A VITA VOLUNTEER
Spend a few hours a week providing free tax preparation assistance to low to moderate income families in your community—and make all the difference. Your training is free, and you’ll become an IRS-certified tax preparer, thanks to the federal Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
TO BECOME A VITA VOLUNTEER TAX PREPARER, contact ABCD’s Volunteer Coordinator Madeline Eleazar at 617.348.6591 or email us at email@example.com.
TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO SEE IF YOU QUALIFY FOR FREE TAX PREPARATION, contact your nearest ABCD Neighborhood Center.