Give the gift of time by volunteering or becoming an intern.
Your dollars can also make a life-changing difference.
We hope that joining us will be as gratifying to you as it is beneficial to members of the ABCD community. They’re our neighbors, they’re in urgent need, and they have dreams of moving their lives forward. Together, we can help make that happen.
Learn about volunteering, internships, and other ways to give below.
To sponsor an event, contact Amelia Aubourg at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617.348.6238.
Your time can make all the difference
individual and group Volunteer Opportunities
ABCD could not do what we do without the help of passionate volunteers!
Join us for a single project, say on a crisp December Saturday when we give away Christmas trees, or a major event like Field of Dreams at Fenway Park. Maybe you’ll choose to lend a hand on a regular basis, offering your spirit and expertise to programs that help children, youth, homeless families, elders — neighbors of ours who are in dire need.
Here are a few ways that you or your company can contribute:
- Tax Preparation: Train to be a volunteer tax preparer and help working families access the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and other benefits
- Tutoring: Work with children, teens or adults on learning basic skills
- Career Mentoring: Bring your professional experience into the classroom to help youth explore career options
- Head Start Support: Work with groups or individual children in an ABCD Head Start classroom, including as a Foster Grandparent
- Special Events: Help out with one of our fantastic events or suit up a team of your employees. Take part in Field of Dreams, and play at Fenway Park! When your team signs on for Hoop Dreams you’ll play on the legendary TD Garden parquet! And there’s lots more.
ABCD offers many meaningful group volunteer opportunities that can meet your organization’s needs while making a difference in the lives of the people we serve. Our dedicated partners form an important link between our clients and the Greater Boston community.
Groups can contribute in a number of ways:
- Food Pantry assistance: Help stock our shelves and distribute much needed food items to our families
- Tutoring: Provide academic assistance to youth enrolled in afterschool programs at ABCD
- Mentoring youth: Develop positive relationships and provide insight on career and professional development
- Organizing a specialized workshop at one of our offices
- Organizing a team of volunteer Tax Preparers (Winter Offering Only)
- One-time Event Assistance
- And more!
Please complete our Group Volunteer Opportunity Form to get started.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old.
- All volunteer positions are unpaid unless otherwise stated.
- Many volunteer positions may qualify for college credit. Please contact the Volunteer Office for more information on internships.
- All volunteers and interns must pass a CORI prior to their first day of service. We accept valid, government-issued photo IDs (i.e. Passport, Driver’s License, State ID, etc.)
- Volunteers placed in Head Start will need to complete an additional Head Start Medical Form.
We encourage you to apply online, but you can also complete a hard copy Volunteer Application at ABCD’s Human Resources department at:
178 Tremont Street, 6th Floor
Boston, MA 02111
Check out the ABCD Volunteer Newsletter!
Real people, real stories, real connection.
GAIN INVALUABLE EXPERIENCE WHILE GIVING BACK
An internship is a powerful way to support ABCD’s mission to provide low income residents in the Boston and Mystic Valley areas with the tools, support, and resources they need to transition from poverty to stability and from stability to success.
Whether you’re looking to develop your skill set within a human services agency or to gain school credit, you can be sure that an internship at ABCD will help build pathways out of poverty while expanding your professional or educational experience.
Opportunities for every interest
Internships at ABCD take place in many of our departments and programs and involve many different areas of expertise. Past internships have included:
- Undergraduate nursing students creating and teaching age-appropriate health workshops in Head Start classrooms
- Media Arts students providing video editing and social media assistance within our Communications department
- College and high school students enrolled in service-learning courses providing semester-long administrative and client support across our neighborhood offices
- Social Work students, BSW and MSW, providing year-long service towards their degree
- Jumpstart Corps members promoting a love of reading and increasing literacy rates in Head Start classrooms
Many of the positions listed within the Volunteer Opportunity Directory can be credit-eligible or fulfill your institution’s requirements.
If you’re a student or you represent an educational institution interested in partnering with ABCD for credit-based internships, service-learning placements or other student projects, we invite you to contact us.
EXPLORE THE MANY WAYS TO GIVE
Take advantage of a range of opportunities to help our most vulnerable neighbors transition from survival to stability and from stability to success.
To learn more about the following paths to giving, please contact us at 617.348.6559 or email@example.com.
ABCD SIGNATURE CAMPAIGNS
SummerWorks is an ABCD program that enables income eligible Boston youth to take part in career development workshops, be placed in a job that gives back to the community, and earn a regular paycheck. They receive one-to-one mentoring and learn skills that serve them now and throughout their lives. Every summer, 4,000 to 5,000 youth apply, but we can fund only about 1,000. Your gift matters.
Our Winter Emergency Campaign serves thousands of Boston area families in desperate need of food, fuel assistance, and holiday toys. You can donate to the general campaign, give the joyful gift of holiday toys, or choose to “Adopt a Family,” meaning that you can direct your generosity to a specific family.
Adopt-a-Family is a program that matches donors with a Boston area household working to improve their lives. Donors help their sponsored family by adding to or filling a family’s “wish list” during the winter months, and they can choose to continue the relationship year-round—helping families in large ways and small. This compassionate connection can prevent crisis and help families build a better future.
Through the ABCD Holiday Toy Drive, you can make a family’s holiday season much happier!. You, as a corporate or community partner, collaborate with the ABCD neighborhood network to collect donations of new, unwrapped toys and gift cards that we distribute to low income families in every Boston neighborhood and several in the Mystic Valley.
Companies whose mission includes giving back can meet specific charitable choices–children and youth, affordable housing, essentials like food and clothing, and more. The many options including matching gifts, which motivate employees and double your impact; event sponsorships including high profile fundraisers like ABCD’s Field of Dreams, where your team plays at America’s most beloved ballpark — Fenway! The same goes for Hoop Dreams, where your team plays on the legendary TD Garden parquet, and the ABCD Community Heroes Celebration, which pays tribute to the spirit of volunteerism.
Your in-kind donation goes a long way in helping homeless families; the two high schools that we run in partnership with the Boston Public Schools–University High and Ostiguy High; ABCD Head Start early childhood learning centers, or specific neighborhood locations, each offering a range of services. Clothing, especially winter coats, boots, and warm socks; new linens, towels and other household supplies; gently used furniture; gift certificates to major retailers, and art and school supplies are among our families’ greatest needs.