ABCD Services

Keeping Families Out of the Cold

ABCD’s Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), the Fuel Assistance program, provides heating bill payment assistance to low-income residents of various cities and towns. This critical service keeps thousands of families warm each winter and staff are available to assist clients in the application process.

We will begin our recertification process for Fuel Assistance 2017-2018 in late summer and new applicants may apply beginning November 1, 2017.

Apply Now! Call 617-357-6012.

ABCD's Energy Department administers the federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). LIHEAP offers financial assistance to qualifying low-income households who require support in paying their home heating bills. Applicants must have a gross income at or below 60% of the state median income.

ABCD's Fuel Assistance Program helps more than 20,000 low-income households in Boston, Brookline and Newton pay fuel bills during the heating season. Read below to learn more about eligibility requirements, and to find out where you can access Fuel Assistance near you.

Find Fuel Assistance In Boston, Brookline and Newton

For these cities and towns Fuel Assistance applications are accepted at every ABCD neighborhood site as well as ABCD's headquarters in Downtown Boston.  You can receive assistance completing the application in several languages.

For residents of Boston seeking Fuel Assistance: use the site locator to the right, and select "Fuel" from the drop down menu, to find an ABCD location near you that offers fuel assistance.

For residents of Brookline and Newton seeking Fuel Assistance:

Brookline Senior Center
93 Winchester St.
Brookline, MA 02446
Phone: 617-730-2777

Newton Human Services Dept., City Hall
1000 Commonwealth Avenue
Newton, MA 02460
Phone: 617-796-1282

For residents of Malden, Medford, Everett, Melrose, Stoneham, Winchester and Woburn seeking Fuel Assistance: 

You can receive assistance completing the application in several languages

ABCD Fuel Assistance
18 Dartmouth Street
Malden, MA 02148
(781) 322-6284

You may use this link to make an appointment at the Malden location only if you reside in Malden, Medford, Everett, Melrose, Stoneham, Winchester or Woburn. 

For other cities/towns in Massachusetts call: 1-800-632-8175

What Do I Bring When I Apply for Fuel Assistance?

  • Proof of income for everyone in your household who is 18 years or older for the past 30 days. If someone is 18 years or older and is a full-time student, submit a letter from their school or college.
  • A Social Security number for everyone 18 years or older.
  • You need to provide identification for the person who is applying:

Please submit only ONE of the following: Proof of TANF, SSA/SSI, Veteran’s Benefits, Pension/Annuity, Mass Health card, copy of your Social Security card, birth certificate, a pay stub with your SS number, a copy of driver’s license or state issued ID card, a copy of your Food Stamp card or Medicaid coverage card, or a copy of your U.S. Military card.

  • Current (most recent) copy of your lease or a paid rent receipt or for homeowners, your mortgage statement
  • Current (most recent) PRIMARY HEATING BILL (oil, gas, electric). 

Fuel Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How do I know if I am eligible for fuel assistance?

Applicants to the Fuel Assistance program must have a gross income at or below 60% of the state median income. The ABCD Energy Department has created flyers in various languages outlining eligibility requirements for the fuel assistance program. Click on the links below to download the flyers and learn more:

Income and Benefits Eligibility Chart

Eligibility Guidelines for Homeowners and Renters

Eligibility Guidelines - Chinese

Eligibility Guidelines - Creole

Eligibility Guidelines - Italian

Eligibility Guidelines - Spanish

Eligibility Guidelines - Vietnamese


If I live in subsidized housing, how can I still access fuel assistance?

If you currently live in subsidized housing you can access Fuel Assistance if your household pays more than 30% of income towards your subsidized rent.

If I am a renter and my heating is included in my monthly rent, how can I still access fuel assistance?

If your heat is included in your rent, we need a statement from your landlord stating that “Heat is included in rent”, the monthly rent amount, your address, and the name, address, telephone and signature of the landlord.

If I am a renter but I pay my own heating bill, how can I access fuel assistance?

You need to provide proof of home address by providing ONE of the following: Copy of your current lease, or current gas, electric, home telephone or cable bill, or a copy of a recent Massachusetts Income Tax form, or by having your landlord complete the Renter/Address verification form.

If I am a homeowner, how can I access fuel assistance?

Please submit a MORTGAGE STATEMENT or a note stating why you have no mortgage.

IF YOU HAVE TENANTS: please submit a note from tenants stating the rent amount and bring in your property tax, property insurance, water & sewer bills, and the interest on your mortgage. (These are considered expenses to be deducted).

Additional Information

ABCD Energy Conservation Programs

What happens after I file an application for ABCD Fuel Assistance?

Low-Cost/No-Cost Tips to Stay Warm

Tips on How to Survive the Big Chill

Know your rights! Download this informational flier for more information on how to protect your household from termination of heating services or to see if your household qualifies for key protections against shut off.

For questions or more information on on ABCD's fuel assistance program, please contact the Energy Department at 617-357-6012.

Use the site locator to the right for maps and directions.


Locate ABCD Services

Donate to ABCD's Winter Campaign!